There are many stories behind the names of the streets of Málaga. Would you like to find out the origins of some of the best-known roads in the historic centre of the city?
Paseo de Reding
This is one of the main roads of the eastern part of the city. The Paseo de Reding is named in honour of the Swiss general who won the battle of Bailén during the Spanish War of Independence, and who was the military governor of Málaga.
Calle San Agustín
Located in the historic heart of Málaga, this road was originally called the Calle de los Caballeros (Street of the Knights), as many members of the nobility lived here. At the end of the 16th century, its name changed to San Agustín when a convent with this name was built on the street.
This street owes its name to two convents that used to be here: the San Bernardo Convent, the oldest, made up of Cistercian nuns, and the Convent of the Incarnation. The latter had a hospice attached to it called the ‘Respiciatos de San Francisco’ and was also looked after by the community of Cistercian nuns.
Located in the District of El Perchel, this street owes its name to the saltpetre (‘salitre’ in Spanish) in the sea. In the 18th century, the city claimed land from the sea and other wider, straighter roads began to be created, like the Calle del Mar and the Calle Almacenes (Salitre and Cuarteles). During the Second Republic, this road was called Muñoz Herrera.
Calle Plaza de Toros Vieja
This street crosses the Calle Salitre and Calle Cuarteles. Its name originates from an event that marked a turning point in the history of the El Perchel district: the construction of the Plaza de Toros del Carmen in the 17th century. The bullring, which was the first in Málaga, opened on October 9, 1791.